Achnacriche Bed and Breakfast & Restaurant
For those that really do like 'a path less travelled' Achnacriche really is off the beaten track. At the tip of the Morvern peninsula which has breathtaking views over Ardnamurchan and Tobermory on Mull, it is ideal for those looking for their first taste of this beautiful area, or for those self catering who wish to extend their holiday by a few days.
- Breathtaking scenery, walks and wildlife on the doorstep
- Two premium rooms with sea views
- Superking or twin beds and luxurious bathrooms with underfloor heating
- Private guest sitting room with wood burning stove
- Enjoy a full Scottish breakfast in the garden room
- Evening meals (pre-booking essential, open to non-residents)
- Picnic Lunches
- A few minutes' walk to the shore
- Visit the Nc'nean distillery
- Unlimited Free WiFi in all rooms
- Complimentary trout fishing & cycles available (please enquire at time of booking)
- From £97.50 per room per night (10% discount on room prices 4 nights or more if booked directly with us)
To check availability or reserve a room :
- By telephone 07715 677277 (between 9am - 6pm).
- By email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best rates are available by booking directly with Drimnin Estate using .We will then confirm your booking and request payment details
- or alternatively for an instant booking you will find us on Airbnb, or Booking.com (Airbnb & Booking.com charge a booking fee and 4+ nights discount not available)
A stay at Achnacriche
Achnacriche sits within a large garden surrounded by ancient oak woodland and has fantastic views over the Sound of Mull, which is just a few minutes walk from the entrance porch. There are two premium rooms at the front of the house with superking (or twin) beds, luxuriously equipped en-suite bathrooms (one with shower and one with over bath shower). Sash windows frame wonderful views across green fields, native woodlands and the beautiful Sound of Mull. It is an ideal base for walking, especially the Estate track along Loch Sunart towards Doirlinn past the clearance village of Auliston. Guests also have shared access to all the facilities of the Estate, including mountain bikes and brown trout fishing. For those that prefer to travel on two wheels we welcome motorcyclist and cyclists and have covered storage for motorbikes and cycles and a drying room for wet weather clothing. The varied landscape of the area is a haven for wildlife; otters, wildcats, pine martens, seals, porpoises and eagles are common sights. Find out about the art of making the very best single malt whisky at the new organic craft distillery here on the Estate or perhaps your visit will coincide with a concert in the chapel by the shore. Morvern has a nature reserve at Rahoy and there are wonderful gardens at Ardtornish. To explore further afield head for the Isle of Mull for the day, either by passenger water taxi (once a week) or via the Lochaline car ferry (regular daily service).
Great food and relaxation
We offer a full Scottish breakfast (or something lighter if preferred) and cater for any dietary preferences you may have. We invite you to enjoy a delicious [three-course] evening meal (£25 residents, £30 non-residents), which use many locally sourced ingredients. Pre-booked picnic lunches also available (£10.00). Due to our rural location we would ask that you book evening meal, picnic lunches and other dietary requirements well in advance please. Relax in the private guest sitting room with its log burning stove, large screen television, books and maps about this wonderful part of Scotland. In the not too distant future we hope to offer you a drink from the bar or a wee dram of whisky distilled here on the Estate. Alternatively try one of the fine restaurants and cafes in Lochaline, Strontian or Tobermory. Restaurant open to non-residents (Advanced booking essential)
A little about Achnacriche
Achnacriche means ‘place of the boundary field’. Situated just on the Drimnin Estate and within the tiny community of Drimnin, it was once a drover's inn on the route from Loch Sunart and Doirlinn. In those days it had just four rooms, with only a tiny room at the back for travellers. The house was significantly extended in 1849 when four further rooms were added at the front to enable the widowed Lady Gordon to use it as a temporary home after a fire destroyed much of Drimnin House . The house while still retaining it historic feel has been lovingly renovated and now has spacious facilities for guests.
What do our guests have to say about Achnacriche
Check-in is between 4pm and 7:30pm and check-out by 10am. Breakfast is served between 7:30am and 9:00am. Evening meals are served between 6:30pm and 8:00pm. Due to our remote location pre-booking is essential. We will do our best to be flexible over meal times if you could let us know in advance of your stay. Please call Elfik/Zuzana (07715 677277) if you are likely to be delayed as we would hate your dinner to spoil.
I am afraid that we do not allow smoking in the house.
Standard Travel Directions
Please Note: There is no taxi service in Lochaline
Achnacriche B&B, Drimnin, Morvern, PA80 5XZ.
Heading north on the A82 at Corran (shortly after Onich and before reaching Fort William) take the Corran Ferry to Ardgour- a short scenic 5-10 minute crossing. The Corran - Ardgour ferry departs every half an hour - last ferry 21:30. For timetable and prices 'Click Here'
Your journey will take approximately 1h 15mins once you leave the ferry at Ardgour.
• Coming off the ferry at Ardgour, turn left on the A861 towards Strontian. • PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU USE A SATNAV SYSTEM IT MAY DIRECT YOU LEFT TOO EARLY VIA KINGARLOCH INSTEAD (Although this route is beautiful and shorter due to the nature of the road it will take considerably longer)
• After 12 miles, (before reaching Strontian) take the left turn on to the A884 signposted Lochaline.
• After approximately 17 miles, as you head downhill into Lochaline take the right turn on to the B849, signposted Drimnin.
• Follow this road for 11 miles and as you come into Drimnin cross over the Mungosdail River (indicated by a sign). The public road turns to the left, but carry straight on up the estate track signed Drimnin Estate. Achnacriche B&B is the first house on your right.
WHAT3WORDS Travel Directions
what3words is an app that you can use on your smartphone, it is acurate to a 3m2
Download the app and enter bounty.offshore.wasps and this will show you the location of Achnacriche B&B and give you directions from your current location.